Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Dear Mr. Kandeel whom did you think you were working For ??

Famous Egyptian journalist and TV host Hamdi Kandeel suffered a lot from the censorship in his country Egypt whether in the Egyptian national TV or in Private Egyptian channels “I think he used to present a political TV show on Dream TV”
He had to leave Egypt and to work in Dubai at Dubai TV. He presented hamdiqandeelke8 a show that used to be called “ The Pencil”.
Kandeel since 1960s used to present political shows about the press and what is mentioned in the newspapers around the world about the whole world not only in Egypt.
Kandeel was known as an anti Israeli and American Nasserite who always attacked the pro-American regimes. As I said he faced a lot of censorship
The elegant sophisticated man wished that he may not suffer the same censorship in Dubai ,the new media city there was so promising.
For years he stayed in Dubai and presented his show there ,to be honest I did not watch him ,I do not know why but I only watched him once when he hosted Bashar Al Assad , I think in the Lebanon War 2006.
Kandeel was so happy and proud with the freedom of expression he enjoyed in Dubai in a way that made me believe that he forgot that he is in the end working in an Arabic country !!? Yeah Dubai is a global city , the Las Vegas of the Arab world but in the end it is in the Arabic country ruled by Arabic regime !!
The honeymoon between Kandeel and Dubai was over when suddenly with no introduction his TV show was cancelled and he had to pack his bags and return back home because of something he said as usual !
There are two versions of the story : The Nasserite version in which I do not believe and the logic version which I believe.
The Nasserite Version : The Saudi regime is behind it because he criticized the Saudi Royal family.
The Logic Version : The authorities in Dubai did not like his talk about the economic situation of the golden city after the financial crisis.
I believe the logic version is the right one. In his last episode Kandeel is said to speak about the impact of the crisis on the Dubai stock market. This is a taboo, Dubai authorities know that their city will suffer but they do not want their people to know this.It is a taboo to criticize any form of the authorities in Dubai but Kandil fell in to the huge sin and he has to pay for its price.
Kandeel now is back in Egypt and I wonder what he will do next ,will he work again in Egypt after finding out censorship is everywhere in the Arab world.
Updated : I wonder where is he in the Gaza war ?? I early miss in such time

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes :'(
    I miss him too..
    I feel his voice yelling to these cowards.. stripping off their shame...

    I hope that his "show" will resume in aljazeera! it's the unique real or best place for freedom of speech in the arab world.

    I commented this sad news here

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Islam, I miss him so much too , Al Jazeera will win for sure if he joins them

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for your comment
Please keep it civilized here, racist and hateful comments are not accepted
The Comments in this blog with exclusion of the blog's owner does not represent the views of the blog's owner.