It seems that Jehovah’s Witnesses are back to the media when the administrative court has rejected to recognize them in Egypt branding them as Zionists. Then Pope shounda has opened his fire on them in his first speech in the same week after returning back to Egypt , the pope was expected to speak about the Virgin apparition but he did not , he spoke about the Jehovah’s Witnesses.
Jehovah’s witnesses had entered and spread their believes in Egypt since 1930s and officially in 1951 the sect was registered in Cairo and in 1956 in Alexandria. In 1959 President Nasser had issued a presidential decree to ban the sect and its activities in Egypt and also Syria “during the UAR” , since then their existing has been illegal. During then the sect was accused of being a Zionist covert organization due to their believes. Currently there are about 800- 1200 Jehovah’s witnesses according to U.S State department’s religious freedom report in 2009. According to the same report despite being banned and also harassed from time to time since 2008 security permissions for groups up to 30 to meet were granted .
I remember the Witnesses in Egypt made the headlines when G.W Bush spoke about them once.
Last February 2009 the national council for human rights vice chairman Dr. Kamal Abu Maged has met a Jehovah’s witnesses’ European delegation to discuss the conditions of the sect in Egypt and Abu Maged told him to present for the society proofs that they are not associated with Zionism.
The government claims that the ban on the sect is associated with the Orthodox church more than our national security , for sure Pope Shounda III does not like it but I think he does not like other sects like seventh day Adventist church which is operating in Egypt for a long time since 1960s officially despite being accused too of being a Zionist covert organization. Of course I understand fully his opposition to them especially that there are unconfirmed news that there are converts to Jehovah’s witnesses from the Church already.
Honestly I do not feel comfortable with Jehovah’s witnesses’ believes regarding their relation with the state and the blood transfusion. I think I agree with Dr. Abu Maged that the sect has to prove it is part of the Egyptian society respecting its laws. It is matter of confidence and trust.
By Year , By Month
- ► 2016 ( 266 )
- ► 2015 ( 345 )
- ► 2014 ( 312 )
- ► 2013 ( 512 )
- ► 2012 ( 683 )
- ► 2011 ( 953 )
- The Council On Foreign Relations Worried About Egy...
- Will He Deny Again ??
- Alaa Mubarak Is Back
- Mustafa El-Faky Fires Back
- Naj Hammadi Shooting Follow Up:Where Is The Truth ...
- The Yeshiva World : Israel Offers Mubarak Yerushal...
- Egypt Beats Algeria , Will Play With Ghana Next Su...
- ElBaradei Writes In Weekly Dostor How To Have A Re...
- Chinatown in Port Said
- Mervat El-Tallawy’s Interview In Al Masry Al Youm
- Fake Check Up
- Misr Is Not Misreal
- It Is Just A Football Match And We Should Keep It ...
- The Annual Traditions of Police Day
- Follow Up: Naj Hammadi Shooting "Criminal Intent"
- Lebanon Mourns For A Day
- I Saw That Lady And That Kid Before
- Mohamed Baradei in Foreign Policy : Create A Free ...
- Where Was Shannon ?? "Updated"
- Define “Disaster Zone”
- The Quote Of The week : A Welfare
- Farewell Merit
- Change The World As Much As You Can
- Where Is Adel Emam When You Need Him ??
- I Will Say No To This Holiday .. But
- Our Lobby In Washington
- Even The Presidency Did Not Like What El-Faky Has ...
- Follow Up : Egypt’s Floods "Updated"
- Do Not Forget Gaza in The Floods
- We Should Have Seen This Coming !!
- Heavy Rains and Floods in Sinai And Aswan
- Wanna Blood ?? Call 19447
- A Regular Scene Does
- RIP Mrs. Iqabal Madai
- Nazif Is Going To Marry
- Photos From Naj Hammadi’s Activists Detention
- A Crack In The Greater Dam
- The Eighth
- Egyptian Bloggers Detained in Naj Hammadi "Updated...
- Today in Jordan , Tomorrow in Egypt
- The Naj Hammadi Christmas Attack Mystery
- She Does Not Need That Money For Her Bills , Bills...
- Haiti ; The Curse of The Devil
- And Naguib Has Won
- The Brotherhood Chooses Its Guide Today Or ……..on ...
- Say Their Names Then
- Helping Haiti
- It Is More Than A TV Show
- How Can You Be So Sure !!??
- Beware From the Chinese Gold
- I Support Naguib For Egyptian Mobinil
- The Language Of Number : The National Debt
- The Great Sinai Wall
- Gamal In Paris And Ibrahim Soliman Has Disappeared...
- If We Need Gas So Badly Why We Are Exporting it !!...
- Ahmed Orabi Anyone !!??
- Follow Up : Naj Hammadi’s Bloody Christmas
- Wait For The Interesting Part
- Garbage Envy !!
- Fake Hymens Are Real
- Follow Up : Naj Hammadi Suspects
- Galloway Is A Persona Non Grata
- Meanwhile Last Night At The Cathedral
- Sorry And Angry "Updated"
- Long Day ; Bloody Day On The Borders
- Alaa in Mecca
- Should We Not Be Notified With This Weeks Ago ??
- Déjà Vu : Same Time Last Year
- Port Mubarak
- The First Step Towards Hope Starts With A Proxy
- Another Ministerial Reshuffle in Egypt
- Minority Report : Jehovah’s Witnesses in Egypt
- 10 PM’s Emad El-Din Adib Special
- Gaza Freedom Marchers Vs. In General Freedom Hater...
- Do Not Distract The Public
- Happy New Year 2010
- ▼ January ( 76 )
- ► 2009 ( 1159 )
- ► 2008 ( 1054 )
- ► 2007 ( 651 )
- ► 2006 ( 512 )
- ► 2005 ( 242 )
Egypt Citizen Journalism Politics Media National Democracy Follow Up photos Arab Human rights Video Society National Security Egyptian Life Culture Israel Economy America History Regional Arts Post Revolution Egyptian Faces Religion Women International Palestine War #Jan25 Egyptian Army Geek Syria Africa Health Islam Lebanon Europe Elections nostalgia MB Great Cairo blogging 1001 Environment Egyptian History Trials Egyptian X-files Presidential elections 2011 Minorities Terrorism Nature Audio Sports Gulf Presidency Spy Just Opinion Iraq News Books Films Party of parties Iran Maghreb Letter from the editor Sudan Arabic faces Music Breaking News Sinai In the wind's direction Egyptian Royalty Corruption Elections 2012 Asia Numbers 1973 1967 Caucasus Turk Parliament Bloggers Egyptian Constitution Tourism Alexandria Live Blogging Upper Egypt Daily World Links Polls 1952 Arabic X-Files Canal Cities Suez War Cablegate Nile Delta Aswan Laila Laws Photo Of The Week Egyptian Rumours Happy Yemen Red Sea 1948 The Quote of Week Charity Salam 98 Pakistan African Faces Yemen Personal Reviews Communiques UAR Highlighted Comments Matrouh Travel EC Interviews Nubia SS gate Weather Fayoum Latino Must Read Switch the Channel Wise Words Jordan Leaks South America Government Test Asian Faces Ideas Infographs Odd Tweet of the Day