And Obama has addressed the people of Middle East specifically in the Arab world. You can read the speech transcript.
Here are my remarks about the speech.
- I had the feeling that Obama was originally addressing the American people not the Arab people or the people of Middle East at least in the first part of the speech.
- Obama spoke about how the Arab people achieved in 6 months what the terrorists failed to achieve , already I do not understand what the terrorists failed to achieve considering the fact the terrorists did not want what the Arab people wanted. “If we put aside changing regime , this comparison was unneeded”
- It is good that he mentioned that the United States did not have anything with the revolutions and did not push the people to protest.
- He criticized Syria and attacked Iran for its support to the Syrian regime then he reminded the world how the revolution spring started with that uprising in Tehran and Neda. I felt that he only mentioned Syria in order to speak about Iran.
- He spoke about Bahrain calling the regime and opposition to have dialogue. Of course he did not criticize Bahrain as he criticized Syria , he also did not criticize Yemeni regime that much.
- He ignored the rest of the GCC despite.I think the part related to the women’s role in the speech can be applied to Saudi Arabia as well.
- He defended his policies in Libya ,I felt he was justifying himself in front the American people
- The most important thing about Egypt in this speech in my point of view was not the swap of $1 billion debt with $ 1 billion projects to help the country but about the fact that the States will cooperate with the newly elected government in Egypt to restore our assets abroad. Boys and girls we will not restore a penny from the States except with an elected government , do you get that !?
- It is not a bad thing that the United States has an agenda because we know that the States like any country only cares for its best interest above all. As an Egyptian citizen I want my country to have its own agenda based on its best interest.
- The last part was about Palestine and Israel , honestly I do not understand what the new thing he said about the peace process other than that Israel must go back to the 1967 borders. I can’t consider this even as something new because this is a fact if we are going to speak about real peace process
Some people find the speech good while other found it boring. Some people wonder what the price Egypt will pay in return to this relief of debt especially that the States was standing with Mubarak till it abandoned him in the last few days. Some people predict that this is the price of having close relations with Israel.
The Google executive , our dear Wael Ghonim whom Obama loves to reminds us that he was working in Google “as it is American company” made a very interesting remark that should be taken in consideration when we analyze this speech. According to Wael Ghonim :
Israel was mentioned 28 times while Egypt was mentioned 13 times where as Tunisia 9 times and Palestine only 4.
According to what I know Obama is going to speak in front of the AIPAC next week , this is the real important speech.
Supporting dictatorships for years can’t be erased by speeches and financial aids rather by actions , true actions. Of course we will not fool ourselves.
These are my remarks , I am not paying attention to the speech because things are developing too damn fast so I would analyze this speech thoroughly and what it does mean. The future of the Egyptian American relations will be determined not now but rather after having an elected government and parliament idealistically speaking.
The Israeli Prime minister issued a statement regarding the Obama speech. The El Assad Syrian regime orphans are attacking the speech.