Sunday, November 4, 2007

Happy Love day

Ok my dear friends I wish a very happy Egyptian love day ,oh yes today is the 4th of November the Egyptian love day , our own Egyptian national version of the Valentine day.
Of course this day is not as popular as the valentine day which seems to be drawing more and more attention and young couples due to globalization yet there are some people who still say "Happy love day" to each other on that day
I will be biased to my Egyptian love day and because I prefer it more ,despite the fact I did not know today that it was the Love day except when I was in the street hearing accidentally a young lady speaking to some one on the mobile phone describing the flowers her friends received from her fiancee for the occasion ,already if I had knew earlier I would have written this post earlier too . As I said I am more biased to the Egyptian love day because it is general love day not lovers couple love day like the valentine's
The one who called for it was famous Egyptian journalist and writer Mustafa Amin "May Allah bless his soul" , he came up with the idea of that day  in 1970s "not now"  after seeing  a funeral with barely no one attanding it, no one is walking behind the dead man as the custom as if no one cared for this man not even loved him , I repeat that was in the 1970s and so Amin wondered about the love between the people; that simple love between them and where that love had gone ; the pure emotions of respect and care; from there came the idea of the love day
It is not a couple day but it is the whole people love day
Of course it is not a commercial nor internationally famous like the Valentine and this is why no body actually remembers it just like the circus of the valentine , yes it is a circus , it is no longer about love ,it is a big a cash machine for marketers and companies,it is not about love but showing off ,love does not need all those red celebrations
anyhow happy local love day to all Egyptians :)

5 comments:

  1. Mostafa Amin's love day doesn't have much fans nowadays. That last time I saw people buying gifts and roses on that day was probably more than 7 years ago. Valentine's shopping season has determined for all of us when to celebrate love. Business always has a louder voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Om Luji , this is the great effect of the globalization and the marketers who can change the values and norms of the society so easily if they know the correct button to push
    I also can't remember the last time I saw someone buying roses on that day , it seemed from a very very long time :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is 3 years late! But never too late! Its the first time i hear this story. I heard a total different one! wutever the origins are . I believe its never to late to brand the day and start promoting it! i believe its quite unique to have our own EGYPTIAN valentines day where everyone can express their love .. This sets it so different from the very famous romantic one in feb! I take this as an initiative to share with my friends and acquaintances.. Let love diffuse back to this gr8 country!

    ReplyDelete
  4. always thought the idea came from some ancient Egyptian myth..thanks for the sharing. happy love day, yesterday, today and tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for your comment
Please keep it civilized here, racist and hateful comments are not accepted
The Comments in this blog with exclusion of the blog's owner does not represent the views of the blog's owner.