Dear Marwa Rakha broke all the rules for real this time when she decided to publish her best selling book “The poison tree” for free online whether as a written book or as an audio book in a surprising move. Marwa is having a hard time with her publishing house which was supposed to be from the new promising publishing houses that supported liberal , independent and young writers. You can read more about her problem in her website.
Now I am not surprised at what Marwa suffered or is suffering with her publisher at all , this is a normal thing in Egypt , publishing is just a printing for profit job in Egypt nowadays. It seems that most of the publishers are vampires in Egypt and this I am saying from a personal experience.
Without mentioning names after the death of my late grandfather I found out his last book on which he was working and I used to help him in was published without our knowledge , I found out by coincidence online !! The book was published even without the pictures and new arrangement my grandfather planned for it before his death. Not that only we found out that one of my grandfather’s books was reprinted for a new edition.The publisher came to our house and apologized and told us that it was hard year for him and he was going to call us..etc. He promised to come with a contract and a check , especially he knew that my grandfather had finished another two other books.
Up till the moment of writing down these lines we have not received a single penny from those two books despite they are successful and I see them everywhere. He did not call us and we did not call him back. I do not hide that the last book makes me so angry because if that publisher has one sense of respect for that man who stood besides him and his family for all those year and told us that he was going to publish the book , we would give him all the pictures and documents my granddad gathered for that specific book.
For some reason the family refuses to take a legal action , my mom told me that there is no use and legal route is too long and she and the family are not ready yet to go in to it. My mom had a terrible long experience in the legal route in her divorce from my dad. My aunt before Marwa’s goes online with her book for free thought about this idea last year , that I publish the book online for free and thus I would burn it for that greedy publisher.
It is a sad thing because my grandfather stood with that publisher’s family since 1970s till his death !!!!!!!!!! He stood with him when his father died leaving the publishing house which was once no.1 in Egypt on the brink of bankruptcy !! I am not speaking about a new publishing house like the one Marwa’s dealing with , I am speaking one of the publishing houses that dealt with very big names in Egypt from politicians to writers to novelists to scientists.
This is just an example , you want another powerful example on how publishers in Egypt can go too far , I will give one : The feud between Ihsan Abd El-Koddus family and their father’s publisher who is another old and major publisher in Egypt , he was the publisher of Naguib Mahfouz and Ihsan Abd El-Koddus. Simply the publishing house has discovered that the content of Ihsan Abd El-Koddus does not suit the Gulf region after all those years and thus it decided to edit and censor Abdel Quds’ novels themselves by changing words and sentences !! If it were not the fact that Abdel Quds family has the original transcript of the novels and they were keen to stand for their father’s creativity rights nobody would have noticed !!!! Now they went to the court and waiting for justice.
I believe we do need new laws and regulations that preserve of both the author and the publisher rights. It is enough now that we do not have publishing houses like in old days despite the fact that I feel people began to read again.
By Year , By Month
- ► 2016 ( 238 )
- ► 2015 ( 345 )
- ► 2014 ( 312 )
- ► 2013 ( 512 )
- ► 2012 ( 683 )
- ► 2011 ( 953 )
- ► 2010 ( 1093 )
- Per in Egyptian Press
- Daily World Chronicles 09/30/2009
- What if He Were a Normal man !!??
- Per Bjorklund To Be Deported
- The Day Our Presidential Website Was Hacked !!
- Settlers Not Residents
- Names and Places Please
- Dress To Impress
- Did Anyone Notice This ??
- Daily World Chronicles 09/28/2009
- Suzanne Tamim’s Unknown Husband
- First Will You Marry Me and Now I Am Sorry Baby
- Black Coffee
- Who Will Pay The Bills ??
- He Did Not Go For Shopping Only !!
- Bibi Does Not Like His Cartoon
- The Last Ottoman
- The Photos of The Week : Treki Should Have Known b...
- Where Is The Vice Police ? Where is The Women’s co...
- Not A Good Sign
- Do Not Blame The Jews, Blame Yourself
- Dr.Mahathir Mohamed Blogs
- Breaking News : Farouk Hosni Lost The Elections
- A Tie For Hosni
- Why Do I Smell A Conspiracy In This !!??
- Do Not Blame It On The Pigs
- Laila Abdel Salam Speaks For The First Time on TV
- The Next Minister Of Culture Will Be…
- She Needs Your Prayers
- Farouk Hosni Official Website
- Another Blow To Independence Judicial System Movem...
- Meet Queen Fatimah of Libya
- Follow Up : 2 Other Votes
- Happy Eid
- I Miss That Ad So Much
- The Key To Qaddafi’s Personality
- Follow Up : Another Round For Farouk Hosni
- Do Not Stone Her Alone
- Porto Aswan : The Regime’s Response To Nubian Dema...
- Wrong Market !!
- Does Anyone Follow What Is Happening in Yemen ??
- Breaking News Do Not Tell Me He Is Going To Win !!...
- Les Miserables
- Rosetta Houses
- Regarding Farouk Hosni : Last Argument
- The Muslims Are Coming, The Muslims Are Coming
- Is Not This Against The Law !??
- Testing Something
- Guess The Future Lebanese Leader
- The Return of A Hero
- Poll : Will You Miss Amora ??
- Where Is WALL.E when You Need It ??
- This Is Beauty
- Welcome To The Egyptian Publishing Hell
- Follow Up:Another Reason To Say “No” To Farouk Hos...
- Did Mubarak know Assaf Ramon ??
- Serena Williams’ Moment Of Shame
- Unwanted Guests
- Daily World Chronicles 09/13/2009
- Gaza Jane
- Don Draper’s Channel
- So We Are Fact No.22 in Egypt
- The Hero Of Human Rights
- The Quotes of The Week : Talking in Politics in 20...
- H1N1 Follow Up : Just One Week !!
- Why DO We Have To Pay ??
- The Real Samia Fahmy
- Follow Up : Why I Say “No” To Hosni
- H1N1 Follow Up: Another School Is Shut Down
- When It Rains , It Pours
- Another Kind of Arab Nationalism
- Egyptian X-Files : The European Man who Was Found ...
- H1N1 : Bad Day For Humans , Good Day For pigs
- Blame Those Ministers
- Polls of The Week : 2
- Egyptian Chronicles' TV Review in Ramadan "First 1...
- To Know Your Postal Code in Egypt
- Who Will Buy The Old Falki ??
- Who Is Behind That Ad ??
- K.I.A Photo
- Murdoch To Acquire 20% of Rotana !!
- The Quote of The Week : The Minister , The UNESCO ...
- Syria Vs. Iraq
- Review : Angels And Demons
- The News of The Day : Amr Adib To Retire from Medi...
- Tamtem ; Let's Keep it a Secret
- Bad Time For Private Security Companies in the Sta...
- Where Are The Human Rights Organizations When They...
- Maktoob Yahoo !!
- Iron Woman’s Follow Up : The Other Minister
- A Sectarian War
- Egyptian X-File : Searching For Mr.Halal
- ▼ September ( 92 )
- ► 2008 ( 1054 )
- ► 2007 ( 651 )
- ► 2006 ( 512 )
- ► 2005 ( 242 )
Egypt Citizen Journalism Politics Media National Democracy Follow Up photos Arab Video Human rights Society National Security Egyptian Life Culture Israel Economy America History Regional Arts Post Revolution Egyptian Faces Religion International Women Palestine War #Jan25 Egyptian Army Geek Syria Africa Health Islam Lebanon Europe Elections nostalgia MB blogging Great Cairo 1001 Environment Egyptian X-files Presidential elections 2011 Egyptian History Minorities Nature Trials Audio Sports Terrorism Just Opinion Spy Iraq Gulf News Presidency Books Party of parties Films Iran Maghreb Letter from the editor Sudan Music Breaking News Arabic faces In the wind's direction Elections 2012 Sinai Asia Corruption Egyptian Royalty Numbers 1973 1967 Caucasus Turk Bloggers Egyptian Constitution Parliament Tourism Live Blogging Daily World Links Polls Upper Egypt Alexandria 1952 Arabic X-Files Canal Cities Suez War Cablegate Laila Photo Of The Week Aswan Egyptian Rumours Nile Delta Happy Yemen 1948 The Quote of Week Charity Laws Salam 98 Pakistan Red Sea African Faces Yemen Personal Reviews Communiques UAR Matrouh EC Interviews Highlighted Comments Travel Nubia SS gate Weather Fayoum Latino Must Read Switch the Channel Wise Words Leaks South America Jordan Test Asian Faces Government Ideas Infographs Odd Tweet of the Day