Egyptian Chronicles: Cinema Metro: Mandil El Helo

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Cinema Metro: Mandil El Helo

Ok as we are celebrating the feast , I would like to share with this little treasure I Mandel El Helofound on YouTube : A complete version of Mandil El Helo.
Mandil El Helo “My sweetheart’s handkerchief” is a musical comedy starring the legendary Tahia Karioka in her golden time and singer Abdel Aziz Mahmoud. The title of the film was its title song which was one of the most famous songs of Mahmoud. The plot of the film is not that serious , it is just simple comedy that many people like.
You can watch the film after the break.

The film was produced in 1949 , directed by Abbas Kamel . You can find more detailed information about it in Arabic in El Cinema.
Now one of the unique character of this film is the photographer Kodak Agfa that was portrayed by late Hassan Kamel “1883-1959”, I just love his character as well as Kodak Agfa’s expressional art in photography.
Kodak Agfa
I use the name of Kodak Agfa as my flickr name and I am proud of it.
This is dedicated to dear Zeinab Samir and all the lovers of the Black and White films. Unfortunately it is not subtitled.
You know I am thinking of sharing old films here to keep the heritage , the old good heritage of Egyptian cinema alive especially I found that new generations do not know about it.

1 comment :

  1. As an Arabic movies addict,thanks to my late mother Mrs.Knarig,and i confirm her SHAMELESSLY that SHE was ILLITERATE even in Armenian language or even Turkish she used ,occasionally;,which, We and She ,but She liked the Movies and understood 80% of the conversations in Egyptian-Arabic accent,but never read or wrote, but still i am proud of her not just because She was my MOTHER,also of her courage. courage to create her own dialect to help any foreighner asked route directions to make Him or Her to get to their destination,sometimes even an educated person fails to do as She did, successfully?!!Thanks to her ,i am CERTAIN 200% we have seen that>>MANDIL EL HELOO,when i was about 5./6 or maybe 7 years old,but believe me I cant remember any scene of it??...Yes i do like the late crooner Mr.ABDEL AZIZ MAHMOUDs & His mind/soul relaxing voice and songs,especially movie s title song MANDEEL EL HELO ..YA MANDEEL....,every time i listen to it i get very emotional as i remember my childhood,sitting on my Mom s money was tight so 1 ticket for both of us...Those black & white movies made us Weep/Cry and other times Smile/Laugh..we seen it all,as there was no T.V,yet until 1959 in Lebanon?!

    Cinema Theatres were the only out-lets we had.and being close to downtown Beirut, inevitably too close to them ALL! especially CINEMA Theatro El KABEER<<(GRAND THEATRE) on Ameer Basheer Street/Ryad SOLH Square??,as we lived close to the houses of The Parliament...or as we called it then>>Politicians OWN Theatre?? on (Maarad Street)Sahat El NEJMEH !..I still remember as if it happened just yesterday,times when i felt water drops on my forehead,and as i looked up i saw my Mother s eyes wet with tears falling on my small head as she was emotional with the films events then i began to cry,seeing her tearful eyes,by the way the film was>>ENNI RAHELA..acted by Greats such as Madam MADEEHA YOSSRI & Gentleman Actor late Mr.EMAD HAMDY(1955),Mom was in her early 40s then!! this happened many other times too/Thats why i grew up very sentimental ,careful even to step on ANTS or hurt any weak creature or being>s<...I used to cover my eyes when>>WAHSH EL SHA-SHA (Silver Screens villain then ,late/Great Actor Mr.FAREED SHAWQI trying to murder belly dancer,famous KETTY ,in film called: Afritat ISMAEEL YASSIN, so scared ,even though it was a comedy made in 1954, i was 7 Y.O.....Even when i once met, on BESHARA EL KHOURY Avenue/Beirut ..HIM the GREAT actor with his briefcase coming out , from a office block, signing a new film contract, i guess with a Lebanese producer->s such as Mr.TAHSSIN AL QAWADREE?MAYBE?!.. But still, that fear had some effect on me even after 15/16 long years??........People in those days did not attend theatres to eat POPCORNS,but to get educated/enlightened as much as they could..a movie can really change.. A life or some other times..LIVES!!......Th,,,Th,,,Th,,,That*s All Folks!!......All the best from :Is-Hak BARSOUMIAN/in London/



Thank You for your comment
Please keep it civilized here , I will not tolerate any insult in my blog or any racist or hateful comment
The Comments in this blog with exclusion of the blog's owner do not represent the views of the blog's owner

By Year , By Month