Major General Mamdouh Shahin has just announced the new elections law which organizes the people’s assembly and Shura council law in a press conference.
Here are the most important points in the law :
- The parliamentary elections will be delayed but not at the end of the year !! “ Last time I checked the elections committee will start working on September 18th ,2011 !? “
- The people’s assembly and Shura council elections will be held in the same day on three stages , which means three days !! “I do not understand how or why !? This can confess people already and it will make it hard for civil society organization to monitor this huge process !!”
- The parliamentary elections will have mixed voting system “ 50% direct individual voting system and 50% the closed proportional system”
- The candidate ages in the people’s assembly is reduced from 30 to 25 years old.
- The people’s assembly “The parliament” will be made of 504 members.
- The upcoming president can appoint 10 members.
- The candidates age in the Shura council is 35 years.
- The Shura council will be made of 390 members.
- 1/3 of Shura council will be appointed by the upcoming president
- Voting will be by the ID Card
- Egyptians abroad right to vote has not be decided yet
- There will be no international monitors as this is an attack on our sovereignty !!
- There will be no women’s quota but every electoral list should include at least one woman.
- The court can nullify as parliamentary membership in 90 days from announcing the results
- No religious slogans to be used.
- There will be 120 electoral committees national wide.
I do not understand why the elections will be delayed , I will not jump in to conclusions now because I know Mamdouh Shahin will take around in the talk shows tonight.
I hope that we wait the full text of the law so we can read it carefully.
Side note : Of course this delay in elections comes as a victory for those Pro No team. SCAF wants to please everybody.