Prime minister Essam Sharaf spoke from while ago to the Egyptian people in a recorded message. It was awaited speech or rather awaited reaction after “The revolution First Friday”. It was a short speech where the man looked tired and exhausted. He spoke about 7 points which he considered as decisions but they are actually 7 points :
- The government will take the required steps to fulfill the demands of the people “He did not specify which demands” and the current stage in the nearest possible time. “When”
- The PM gave his orders to the minister of interior to layoff all the officers accused in the shooting of the protesters and to restore general security in the street.
- In Coordination with the head of the appeal court , there will be a court assigned to the shooting of protesters trials and corruption trials regardless of the judicial summer vacation.
- The PM agreed with the public prosecutor to set a team of the best public prosecutor men to finish the investigations of the shooting protesters cases and to refer the accused to the criminal court.
- The PM decided to have a permanent mechanism for a dialogue with the revolution youth and the national powers !!! “ Do not we have already this national dialogue and that national consensus thing !”
- Strict orders to compensate the wounded and martyrs families with no complications or red tape problems. “Old decision actually”
- Forming a committee for social justice headed by the minister of social solidarity to fulfill the social justice demands and to meet with the representatives of the national powers.. etc.
Now the most important decision or point from these 7 points is his order to the minister of interior to layoff these police generals and officers accused in the shooting of the protesters. The decision is not only interesting , impressive and important but also it seems surprising to the minister of interior who was speaking on another channel ‘Al Hayat’ on air !! The minister of interior Mansour Eissawy explained to millions of viewers on how it was against the law to layoff these officers !! It is illegal to kill to protesters as well but the minister is insisting that the ministry did not have snipers !!
I respect Eissawy’s honesty but I do not get how he did not know about this decision before , it seems that the ministers are in one valley and SCAF is indeed in another valley as we say in Egypt
Here is the speech in video :
I consider this speech actually is the answer of the Youth revolution coalition demands in a very vague way , real pathetic way. He only tackled vaguely two demands actually : The officers accused of killing the protesters and the social justice. Still again it is vague , he did not tell how this committee will achieve social justice. Our demands were clear to the point and they should be expected in the same way.
Needless to say the protesters at Tahrir square in Cairo , in Alexandria as well as Suez do not buy Sharaf’s speech. Al Ahram Arabic portal claims that this statement came after negotiations with SCAF for 5 hours based on sources in the cabinet.
Many people compare this speech to Mubarak’s speech on January 28th. There is something indeed in the air and I am just clueless to predict anything.