The Egyptian revolution has its share in the 2011 Time Poll 100 List boys and girls , it is not three covers :) The Time magazine will announce the final list next Thursday.
- Mohamed ElBaradei , love or not ,support him for presidency or not yet you can’t deny that this man’s return to Egypt changed the game. You can’t deny that his campaign , the original campaign to presidency was from the early steps towards the revolution.
- Wael Ghonim as no only Khaled Said page played a huge role in this revolution but Ghonim did to this revolution and Tahrir square a lot more than he can imagine when he appeared on TV.
- Lara Logan is also in the poll as an example for correspondents and what they can face in foreign countries. Of course there is still a debate about what exactly happened to her and whether she was sexually assaulted or not but I believe this debate will simply be ended if we have a proper investigation in order to restore this lady’s rights. I think the Fact finding National commission about Jan 25th should open an investigation about the attacks against foreigner reporters during the revolution and the role of the Mubarak media in spreading Xenophobia among Egyptians.
Already I wished that Time magazine would have both Lara Logan and Swedish reporter Bert Sundström in the list. Bert was stabbed in Cairo and he survived by a miracle.
Now there are Arab names also in the list :
- Mohamed Bouazizi , the man who sparked the Arab revolutions starting from his own country ,I really wish insh Allah to find this man as the Time man of the Year 2011.
- Tawakul Karman from Yemen , I did not say this before but the Yemeni women and their role in revolution are historical.
- Al Jazeera , I do not know if the question should be : What would Al Jazeera do without the Arab revolutions or what the Arab revolutions do without Al Jazeera !!? Of course I am angry from the channel now because of its poor coverage to what is happening in Syria , geopolitics play dirty role here I am afraid.
- Feisal Abdul Rauf , the controversial NY Emam fighting for Ground Zero mosque. By the way he is from Egyptian origin.
- Hassan Nasrallah , it is strange that he never made it to the final list despite the huge role he plays in Lebanon.
- Muqtada Al-Sadr whom I am surprised to see in this year’s list , is he still there !!?
I think these names above are more important than Snooki.
According to the voting results we have the following :
- Tawakul Karman in no.11 before Lady Gaga :)
- Mohamed Bouazizi in no.16 :S
- Mohamed ElBaradei in no.22
- Wael Ghonim in no.26
- Al Jazeera in no. 31 before Michelle Obama
- Lara Logan in no. 127
- Hassan Nasrallah in no.134
- Faisal Abdul Rauf in no. 173