Barbie in 50sBarbie is going to celebrate her 50th birthday after becoming an international cultural icon.
I was from the generations in Egypt that knows Barbie before Fulla and I remember how it felt like to go the toys sections in Alfa Market and get lost in those wonderful pink boxes of Barbie and her stuff. As a little girl I had my dreams to own the Barbie Pink House and her dining room, already I had several mini kitchen sets ,so the Kitchen was not a problem that much. I have camping set ,it is pink , so pink.
Up till now I have my Barbie things kept safe , they are collectibles. My wish now is to buy the Audrey Hepborn Barbie's breakfast in Tiffany "The one with the black dress" and Elizabeth Taylor as Cleopatra Barbie
Barbie by the way had her Egyptian and Arabian moments:
- In 1994 collector edition Barbie Queen of the Nile was released
- In 2000 Mattel a special Elizabeth Taylor as Cleopatra Barbie and it was so beautiful
- In 2001 Mattel released a special Barbie & Ken set inspired by the Arabian night in 2001
The world is celebrating the 50th anniversary of its favorite doll in different commercial way :
- Designer Jonathan Adler and Mattel released of Barbie real dream house in Malibu."lots of pink"
- Fiat also with Mattel released the special Barbie edition of Fiat 500 , of course Volkwagen released its own Barbie Beetle in 2006 and her special convertible VW Beetle edition for her 50th birthday in 2009, of course a woman in her age should not drive those cars !! lol
Here is the first Barbie ad in 1959
Many people do not like Barbie for several reasons:
- The Commercialization of Barbie and her merchandise.
- The Western look of Barbie despite there is an African Barbie and there is fulla for Muslims.
- Some experts do not like the features of Barbie's body , little girls should play with little dolls of little girls , not skinny full make up blonds.
Barbie in 50s without plastic surgery
Barbie links :